Well, here it is. I finished SGP2, a class at Full Sail University.  With finishing the class, me and the 3 others on my team finished our first “real” game project, Space Wars in Space.  Space Wars in Space is a top down shooter with strategic territory capture elements.

Some of the things I worked on:

  • AI for the galaxy map
  • tools to design both the galaxy map (theres different maps you can get each time you play) and the missions.
  • Planets taking damage, getting captured, spawning enemies, and regenerating health.
  • Streamlining the particle manager and particle effects

The purpose of the class was less “make a good game” (we save that for final project) and more “learn the ups and downs of making a game”.  We certainly did. The class ran of a semi-scrum production pattern.  With this, our development time was broken up into 4 sprints which were each tailored to getting the game to a specific level of completion.  Between each of the sprints, we spun what was called “the wheel of misfortune”.  It is filled with negative things that can happen to your team, from switching a random team member with another team to turning in the sprint early.

My group was relatively blessed by the wheel in that we didn’t get the dreaded team swap.  The first spin, we got “mod community”.  Mod community was a relatively easy “misfortune” to handle.  If you download the game and go to options, you’ll notice a “mods” option.  There is a folder in the game’s directory where you can drop files from the weapon editor we created which allows you to create your own guns for in game use. Unfortunately I don’t have that editor to let you try out.

Our 2nd spin of the wheel of misfortune was pretty easy too, we got “supersize a feature”.  We initially planned to have only 3 upgrades for your ship, but we expanded that to about 7 + additional weapons to purchase.  You can see the results of this spin by loading up the game and pressing space bar on the galaxy map. This will load up the shop.  I was in charge of making the shop UI and making it work.

Our 3rd spin of wheel of misfortune was probably more helpful than it was negative, we recieved “QA Core Team”.  The final sprint involved bug testing for another team in the class and fixing bugs that a team had found on our game.  The bug quota was a mere 2 bugs per 1000 lines of code, which was upped to 3 for my group.  Bug testing was fun and challenging.

SGP didn’t introduce many new concepts as far as coding goes but I did learn a great deal about working on a team.  We encountered challenges along the way with communication, conflicting code, and work distribution.  The biggest of these issues was communication, and most of the other issues boiled down to that also.  We resolved this by almost constantly having a team member available on skype or by text message if someone had an issue.  I personally elected to stay signed into skype mobile on my android phone so that I could always see what was going on.  We set up a group chat on skype and that way we always had a way to get ahold of someone, or everyone.

And here it is, my baby for the last 2 months: Space Wars in Space! Give it a download!

Advertisements